Ukraine’s defence minister Oleksii Reznikov dismissed – Capital Radio Malawi
19 April, 2024

Ukraine’s defence minister Oleksii Reznikov dismissed

Removed: Reznikov

Ukraine’s Defence Minister Oleksii Reznikov has confirmed that he is leaving his post.

Reznikov had led the ministry since before the start of Russia’s full-scale invasion in February 2022.

President Volodymyr Zelensky announced Reznikov’s dismissal on Sunday, saying it was time for “new approaches” in the defence ministry.

Rustem Umerov, who runs Ukraine’s State Property Fund, has been nominated as Reznikov’s successor.

In a post on X, formerly Twitter, Reznikov confirmed that he had submitted his resignation letter to the country’s parliament.

Ukrainian media has speculated that he will become Kyiv’s new ambassador in London, where he has developed good relations with senior politicians.

The 57-year-old has become a well-known figure since the beginning of the war in Ukraine. Internationally recognised, he has regularly attended meetings with Ukraine’s western allies and played a key role in lobbying for additional military equipment.

But his dismissal has been anticipated for some time. Last week, Reznikov told reporters he was exploring other positions with the Ukrainian president.

According to local media, the former defence minister said that if Zelensky offered the opportunity for him to work on another project he would probably agree.

Ukrainian defence advisor Yuriy Sak told the BBC that Reznikov spearheaded the transformation of the ministry, laying the groundwork for future NATO membership.

About The Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *