Jul 21, 2017 Last Updated 10:01 AM, Jul 20, 2017

Qatar 2022: Fake News Story Claims Arab Nations Told Fifa They Will Boycott World Cup

FORMER FIFA PRESIDENT SEPP BLATTER REVEALED QATAR HAD BEATEN AUSTRALIA, JAPAN, SOUTH KOREA AND THE UNITED STATES IN THEIR BID TO HOST THE 2022 WORLD CUP FORMER FIFA PRESIDENT SEPP BLATTER REVEALED QATAR HAD BEATEN AUSTRALIA, JAPAN, SOUTH KOREA AND THE UNITED STATES IN THEIR BID TO HOST THE 2022 WORLD CUP Image sourced at bbc.com
Published in Sports News
Read 97 times
Rate this item
(0 votes)

A fake news story claiming Arab nations had demanded that Fifa strip Qatar of the 2022 World Cup appeared on a website designed to look like a credible Swiss news publication.

The story appeared to surface on 'The Local' website and said six nations called Qatar 'the base of terrorism'.

Fifa have dismissed quotes that were accredited to their president Gianni Infantino.

The story was then widely reported by several major news organisations.

The Local has said that it was a copycat website and it "neither wrote, posted nor removed that article".

The story first appeared on Saturday night and claimed that Infantino had told The Local that Saudi Arabia, Yemen, Mauritania, the United Arab Emirates, Bahrain and Egypt wrote to Fifa to ask that the world football's governing body remove Qatar as hosts.

Fifa have denied receiving any correspondence from the Arab countries. A spokesman said: "The Fifa president has never received such a letter and he has not made any comment on that.

"As already said, Fifa is in regular contact with the Qatar 2022 Local Organising Committee and the Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy handling matters relating to the 2022 Fifa World Cup."

The fake website, posing as The Local had quoted Infantino as saying: "The countries warned Fifa of the risks threatening fan and player security in a country that is 'the base and the castle of terrorism'."

An earlier statement from the real Local website read: "We have neither seen the letter referred to in the article, nor sought nor received comment from any representative of Fifa on the issue."

A further statement from publication added: "The article appeared on a fake site designed to look like The Local's own site.

"There is no trace of it in our systems, nor any evidence that anyone tried to access our content management system"

The website where the false report appeared was registered last week to an address in Hawaii, however the personal details appear to be fictitious.

2 comments

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated.Basic HTML code is allowed.

Capital Tweets

Tiunike Online TiunikeOnline Tiunike Online

Guest of honor at his own job? The man's just doing what he's paid to do anyway. Let's not make kings #Malawi.… https://t.co/bgkNvEq5M3

5 hours, 17 minutes ago Reply Retweet Favorite
Capital FM Malawi CapitalFMMw Capital FM Malawi

The #Blantyre Magistrate's Court has granted bail to former Minister of Agriculture George Chaponda. #CFMNews #Malawi

9 hours, 2 minutes ago Reply Retweet Favorite
George Mkandawire newsmalawi George Mkandawire

RT @CapitalFMMw politics at the centre of the #July20, demonstrations in 2011 commemorations. AFORD women in their… https://t.co/VyVGLCjZcE

9 hours, 8 minutes ago Reply Retweet Favorite
Suzgo Khunga suzgokhunga Suzgo Khunga

RT @WezieNyirongo: Court rejects a request to suspend the warrant of arrest that the ACB obtained on the former cabinet Minister George Ch…

9 hours, 20 minutes ago Reply Retweet Favorite
African Citizen its_ickenya African Citizen

RT @WezieNyirongo: Court rejects a request to suspend the warrant of arrest that the ACB obtained on the former cabinet Minister George Ch…

10 hours, 17 minutes ago Reply Retweet Favorite

Find Us on Facebook